Orthodontic Treatment for Children
While there is no set age for children to begin orthodontic treatment, the American Association of Orthodontists recommends seeing an orthodontist around the age of seven.
At this age, most children have a mix of adult teeth and baby teeth, making it easier for your Cary orthodontist to spot orthodontic issues early and correct tooth and jaw problems sooner without surgery.
Benefits of Early Orthodontic Treatment
Early orthodontic treatment allows your Cary orthodontist to:
- Guide and correct the growth of your child’s jaw to help their permanent teeth come in straight
- Adjust the width of your child’s lower and upper arches
- Create more space for crowded teeth
- Improve speech problems and correct thumb sucking
- Avoid the need for permanent tooth extractions at an older age
Signs Your Child Needs Orthodontic Care
As parents, it’s not always easy to know if your child needs orthodontic treatment. Here are a few things to look out for that may mean your child needs to visit an orthodontist:
- Late or early loss of baby teeth
- A hard time biting or chewing food
- Mouth breathing
- Finger or thumb sucking
- Blocked, misplaced, or crowded teeth
- Jaws that make sounds or pop when opening and closing
- Malocclusions (misalignment of the lower and upper teeth)
- Jaws and teeth that are not proportionate to the rest of the child’s face
- Crowded front teeth that happen at around age seven or eight
Please contact our orthodontic practice in Cary, NC, to schedule an appointment for an orthodontic evaluation. Remember, scheduling orthodontic treatment for kids in Cary, NC, now will give your child a healthy, beautiful smile that will last their entire lifetime.